June 19, 2009

Make My Heart Like Yours


Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
John 19: 31-37 “They will look upon him whom they have pierced.”



One summer morning in Florida, a crocodile snatched the right leg of a boy while swimming in the lake. Fortunately his mother was there and grabbed his hands. It was a fierce battle of tug of war between the crocodile and the mother. Fortunately, a man came to the rescue and shot the crocodile. After a month, reporters came and interviewed the boy. Hesitatingly, he showed his wounded legs and said, “These are the wounds of evil.” Then he proudly showed his wounded hands caused by the mothers’ fingernails and said, “These are the wounds of love.”

The water and blood that came out from the side of Jesus was caused by humanity’s sin and wickedness. They were the “wounds of evil.” Jesus felt the physical and emotional pain of crucifixion, but when He humbly embraced the cross for our sake, the water and blood that came out from His heart became the sign of God’s unconditional love for us.

The water (symbol of Baptism) that flowed out from the side of Jesus purifies and cleanses our hearts from all our sins and selfishness. His blood inebriates our spirit and saves our soul. His wounds become the “wounds of love.”

Today, as we celebrate the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Let’s pray that our hearts will be transformed and be like the heart of Jesus – gentle, compassionate, forgiving, and ever ready to embrace and love humanity. Let’s pray that Jesus’ humble heart will console, inspire, and strengthen us to follow Him – to heal the wounds of others and stop adding pain to the already deeply wounded humanity.

Let this simple prayer of humility to the Sacred Heart be our guide and inspiration, “Lord, have mercy on me, make my heart like yours.”

From the desire of being praised, deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being honoured, deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being preferred, deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being consulted, deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being approved, deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of comfort and ease, deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being humiliated, deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being criticized, deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being passed over, deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being forgotten, deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of being lonely, deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being hurt, deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of suffering, deliver me, Jesus.

That others may be loved more than I,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be chosen and I set aside,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be praised and I unnoticed,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

O Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like yours.
O Jesus, meek and humble of heart, strengthen me with your Spirit.
O Jesus, meek and humble of heart, teach me your ways.

O Jesus, meek and humble of heart,
help me put my self importance aside
to learn the kind of cooperation with others
that makes possible the presence of your Abba's household.


Adapted from a prayer by Rafael, Cardinal Merry Del Val,
from the prayer book, For Jesuits, 1963, Loyola University

No comments:

Post a Comment